Step-by-step approach to understanding the design and vision for shell.
Part 1: Context and Ideas
What are the aspirations of shell? What concepts are we wanting to explore?
- Why DAOs Change Everything - An essay that explores the experimental idea of a decentralized, permissionless approach to product iteration. The ideas covered here helped solidify the concepts that were being built in shell.
- - The landing page and overview for the entire shell project.shell
- - Small snippets and vibes that capture what shell is capable of. These mostly allude to use cases and general functionality / possibilities.Vision
- - Tweets, additional articles, and Discord conversations that discuss some of the ideas related to shell.Scrapbook
Part 2: Functionality
How does shell actually work?
- - NFTs in shell are powered by standalone smart contract apps known as engines. This provides a detailed look at what exactly engines can do.Engines
- - The shell framework allows engines to read and write data in a standardized way via a storage mechanism. This covers all storage functionality.Storage
- - NFTs in a shell collection belong to a specific fork, with each fork running a specific engine. This details all fork functionality and how it enables permissionless iteration.Forkanomics
- - Limited for now during early development, but this page has practical step-by-step guides for using shell.Guides
Part 3: Design
Comprehensive overview of the protocol from various logical or physical perspectives.
- - Understand the core entities in shell and how they relate to one another.Domain model
- - Detailed look at the technical architecture of the platform.Architecture
Part 4: Implementation
How was shell built? (You can skip this section if you are not familiar with Solidity)
- IEngine.sol - Interface all engines must implement
- IShellFramework.sol - All core functionality of each shell collection
- ShellERC721.sol - Example of a the shell framework implemented for ERC-721 NFTs
- ShellERC1155.sol - Example of a the shell framework implemented for ERC-1155 NFTs
Part 5: Project Status
What’s actually being built right now? What concrete tasks are we executing on?
- - Potential engines that could be builtEngine ideas
- - Ongoing discussions or open questionsLoose ideas, thoughts
- - Project information and statusProject